Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Is there such a thing as being too attached to your dog?

I have a lifelong dream of going to the south pole. That's not very realistic. Getting a job in Antarctica is realistic, but where you work in Antarctica depends on your profession and citizenship, which means I wouldn't be at Amundsen-Scott regardless.

You'd think that would be really disappointing, but really, not really. Because when I look at photos of Amundsen-Scott, the interesting thing, to me, is the ceremonial pole marker. And every time I look at it I think "wow, Tinky-Winki would LOVE to piss on that." (If you've been reading this blog a while, you know that Tinky-Winky likes to piss on man-made markers.) However, you can't bring your dog to Antarctica, and what's more, the contracts are six months to two years, so I won't even be applying until after she's dead. And when I visualize being at the south pole without her, it doesn't seem worth going anymore.

Hmmmm...

Maybe, when your main motivation for going to the south pole is "so the dog can piss on it", it's time to deprioritize the dog a little.

(All the same, when I go to Antarctica, I'll bring her ashes with me, in case I get a chance to go to Amundsen-Scott after all and scatter some there.)

No comments: